Threaded View

Last On
    09-19-2023 @ 12:24 AM
    Local Date
    05-23-2024
    Local Time
    09:58 PM

Rosenthal Iwo flag pic

Anyone who wants a JPEG of the Rosenthal picture of the raising of the flag (second one) on Iwo Jima, here is a link:

http://www.learnnc.org/lp/media/uplo.../iwo_jima1.jpg

I recently found it. It is very high-resolution at 1380x1111. I have it as the screen saver on my computer, since my dad was on Iwo.

I, by the way, have an original snapshot of the FIRST flag that was raised. If I remember right, my dad (who was to be the NCOIC of the Island signal office for the advance party of the Army contingent that landed with the Marines) got it from the Marine photographer who also took pics at the same time as Rosenthal. I think my dad went ashore in the first few days after the first waves. I will try to scan it when I get my new computer.

On the 1st day, he watched the Marines hit the beach from his LST through a rifle scope from an 03 sniper rifle. He only spoke to me of the things he saw through the scope one time, shortly before I went in the Army. It was over several tumblers of Chivas Regal. Let it suffice to say the things he told me he saw do not make it into the History books. He would talk about his other experiences on Iwo, including close calls, snipers, shelling etc. periodically, but, as I said, only spoke once of Invasion day... SOme of his snapshots he took himself, though, were pretty macabre.

It wasn't until I saw all the horrendous, gory, violent, senseless, and horrible things during my 20 years as a cop and as a Homicide and Coroner Investigator that I truly understood why he never spoke of it much.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

2. The Following 8 Members Say Thank You to imarangemaster For This Useful Post: