Hi you all. I bought a beautiful National Match M-1 garand. For this rifle i paid $1600 and I purchased it from a knowlegable man. I got it apart and found some odd things. I will make a list below. This rifle is exceptionally nice. The trigger has been worked to 4.6 pounds. It has won several matches and will shoot in one hole at 100 yards. I know for a fact that it has been professionally set up for CMPicon competition. Now the troubles:

Serial no. 1656494 This is early-mid WW2. Springfield receiver of coarse

Stock is unmarked, walnut and very nice. It is glass bedded with the old brown material used years ago. This is done so well you can read the receiver numbers in the bedding. Obviously a professional job. Also, the stock and handguards have "LO 494" or maybe "LD 494" written inside in white chalk. 494 is last 3 numbers of the rifles s/n. the but plate is a bit small on the stock. Front barrel band faintly marked NM.

Trigger group marked "494" in white chalk on left side and also on the inside of the floor plate. Drawing no. 6528290-SA. No other markings.

Action: Front sight correct NM 062. Rear site NM marked on arperture/elevation ramp, but none on sight ear. also windage dial is unmarked but it is 1/2 MOA per click. (8 clicks per revolution. Hooded arpeture marked .520.

Barrel is a replacement marked (stamped) "NM" in the usual place on the left side of the bbl. Under the op-rod is marked "Geneseo Ill. 30/06" slightly forward is "SS" and that is all.
receiver drawing no. D 28291 27 heat lot no "041B diamond"

Bolt D28287-12SA
RE5B

So, this is a really nice rifle, but:
1. Is it a real armory made National Match or a later assembled rifle
2. What is it worth
3. How desireable is this old rifle?

Thank you all for this forum and your help. Thanks.

Shane
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.