Thread: M47C sportster recovery to T status?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Threaded View

Last On
    05-25-2023 @ 09:54 AM
    Real Name
    Henry
    Local Date
    06-01-2024
    Local Time
    12:42 PM

M47C sportster recovery to T status?

Hi milsurp gurus and colleagues, I have a long relationship with Lee Enfields in various forms and calibers and just "took in" a sporterised BSA Shirley No4mk1 to restore and shoot. I hope to provide photos soon (got to work on the web hosting and links). I would apprecate a little insight and encouragement!

It has been restored and is in very nice condition - albeit sanded and clinically finished.

I zeroed in on the receiver - marked 1945, M47C with an R serial on the left wrist - along with TP at its bottom edge. Its left receiver side has been milled (removing model /mark) and has front and rear scope pads - with single peened screw heads - the receiver seems to have been blasted and reparkerised. On the right receiver side there is an S marked under the bolt head when closed. It does not have the T inspector stamp marks next to the ejector screw or rear receiver.

It does have a blackened ladder sight with the battle sight ground off. The foresight has beveled rear surfaces. The stock has the remains of S51 at the heel and 2 open screw holes in its upper edge, it does not have a scope serial behind the receiver. It is also fitted with a triangular sling swivel on the king pin.

The bolt is very clean and crisp - with blackened surfaces, a 0 coded head and is serial number matching.

It has a grey metal butt plate in VGC - I will remove this and look for factory / year marks soon to ensure it matches the receiver story.

First up is a trip to the range to check its zero and ladder sight. I am seeking a scope bracket and researching scope choices (and prices - yikes -No32!) to try that next and I am up for a replacement front end - will need a front band.

Overall I intend to invest, shoot (hopefully tighter than my Fazerkely No4mk2) and enjoy it and like minded company!
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

2. The Following 3 Members Say Thank You to ArtioZen For This Useful Post: