Quote Originally Posted by oakfarm View Post
Thanks Mark,Nice targets,where did you get them? What type are they?ie-200yd large bore? Lee W.
Oakfarm - as other members have mentioned, there is a significant difference in POI between the folded "battle sight" and the vertical sight leaf when shooting at close range (100-200yds). i use my previously cut down rifle/carbine for hunting and have been able to attain an aproximate 100yd zero by canging the front sight blade to a taller one from a M1903A3, then at the range, file down the sight until i had the results i needed. as others have said, your rear sight leaf graduations will be somewhat scewed, but not by as much as you may think, esp at close range. further out (300+yds) due to the tradjectory of the 405gr bullet, there is more of a difference. the cartridge loading would be another factor to consider. my hunting carbine shoots reasonable off hand hunting groups of 3-4 inches and approx 2" high at 75-80yds and the same size groups about 2" low at 120yds. i wont get a longer range shot in the maine woods where i hunt, so that is acceptable to me. my reloads are based somewhat on Wolf's "The Book" on 45/70 cartridge loading. i use 53gr of FFg with a lubed veggy wad (to partly compress the powder) followed by a cast 405gr RN lubed bullet. i drilled out the primer hole per Wolf's instructions. this loading works in my rifle only. you milage may vary. best, john