Last On
    Yesterday @ 08:38 PM
    Real Name
    Steve
    Local Date
    06-14-2024
    Local Time
    05:02 AM
    At one time, I wanted to be a Game Warden. Sometimes I still think about it, not regretfully but becoming a deputy or something. But I've talked with quite a few of the younger ones coming in these days and frankly, they are a bunch of jerks. It's a real shame. I have a lot of respect for our state Game Commission. They manage a million hunters every year and still the state has one of the top three deer kills each year. I think only Texas and Michigan top us. Quality of racks has been low but they started a new policy about ten years ago that really seems to be helping.

They just stated doing stupid things. About 10 years ago, there was a story about a buck that wandered into town, got inside a store and got busted up pretty bad. So the police shot it. There was a fellow nearby that asked them what they were going to do with it and they were going to throw it away so he asked if he could have it. Newspaper picked up on it and ran a story about how this deer was going to provide food for this fellows family for a few months. He was so happy. He did not have a job at the time and food money was tight. Well, by now I'm sure you guessed it. Someone in the Game Commission read the newspaper and landing on this guy like a ton of bricks. Took the butchered deer away from him, fined him $500, yada, yada. Of course the **** hit the fan then, big media blitz and they backed off the fine but the meat was gone. Shortly after that, a big flock of turkeys was in the news. This family had been watching this flock of 40 turkeys for months. Game Commission came out, determined they weren't "native" and trapped and killed the entire flock. That was pretty bizarre. A year or so ago, there was an albino deer that was semi-tame and visiting an older woman and she was feeding it which she shouldn't have been, made the newspaper and you guessed it. The Game Commission put out a kill warrant on it because it was now a hazard. There was a bird that's next was destroyed and a couple nursed the baby to adulthood and left it fly around the house. Made the newspaper and BOOM, Game Commission and Police with a Warrant on her porch the next day. Took the bird to a shelter.

I guess the lesson here is don't ever tell the newspaper about a happy tale with our surrounding wildlife. You'll probably get arrested for it.

2. The Following 2 Members Say Thank You to Aragorn243 For This Useful Post:

3. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE