Last On
    04-19-2010 @ 08:38 AM
    Local Date
    05-27-2024
    Local Time
    10:34 AM

K98 Identification Help Needed

Gents,

I have recently discovered through a friend a very interesting piece of history. The story goes...A veteran of WWII, including Normandy, came into possession of an armory stored K98 Mauser somewhere in Germanyicon before the end of the fighting. The rifle along with several others were removed from said armory and somehow sent home or brought home with them. I am not clear on that part of the story because it is a hand me down story from the deceased veteran and his family.

Anyway, I took a very close look at the weapon. It was loaded down pretty good with cosmolineicon, but here is what I found. I didn't have a camera so I could not take pictures so I will describe by location. The rifle was in very good shape. No pitting on any of the external part except for the butt plate. The stock was in good shape with no major dents or dings.

The left side of the receiver has the small eagle over the circle (Wermacht?) and the serial number 6328 a small letter "d" and the MOD.98 id.

The top of the receiver has a small eagle over the number 35. Closer to the chamber there is the large number 44 and in the center of the chamber "byf" which I take to mean "Mauser AG Oberndorf" 1944?

All remaining parts on the exterior of the rifle all are serial numbered 6328, including the bolt handle, the bolt, front barrel band, second barrel band, forward sling swivel, trigger group, magazine floor plate etc. The stock has the remaining impression of the eagle over the circle cartouche but no other marks that I could immediately make out. The rear sight had no markings to speak of.

The mark that I have an issue with is stamped into the barrel just in front of the receiver before the rear sight assembly; it is punched with the number 303.

My research came up with various rechambering/rebarreling options for different calibers (6.5x55, .270 win, .308 win and even .30-06) from different countries but I could not find any reference to .303. I cannot find any numeric factory code referring to 303 and if the story holds true about its whereabouts when found, the Germans would never have rechambered it, right?

I will be posting this query on some other websites that some of you visit so don't be surprised to see this mutliple times. Anyway, can anyone out there help me clear this up? Thank you. Please feel free to send me an e-mail at david_graham@special-lite.com
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by dgrecon; 03-16-2009 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Add e-mail