I recently bought a 5-43 dated Inland, sn 265xxx. I have the reference books for many types of WWII firearm to recognize the differences, but nothing on the US M1icon Carbine. So, I'd like a little coaching on what this little rifle tells us. Using the carbine club download sheet, I will run through the obvious parts' identification.

Flat topped bolt, marked IO and 2 on the left lug, rounded profile right lug
Early joint op rod, 3/16" step, flat bottom, V-top cam cut
M1 trigger group, marked INLAND, no hole on the left side
Smooth push button safety
Smooth magazine release, marked ESG
Hammer marked IH
Trigger marked RI
Type 1 barrel band, marked U, with stamped sling loop
Milled front sight, slope style, marked IS
Barrel is marked INLAND MFG DIV, GENERAL MOTORS, 5-43. Also marked with a big 5 on the swell in front of the breech ring
Receiver marked with maker and serial number almost concealed under back sight
Stamped slider rear sight, marked H in shield
Recoil plate, marked AU
Square pattern checkered butt plate (the dust and fluff underneath are worth leaving behind as a curiousity!)
Stock marked IO in sling cut, rounded end oiler slot, high wood

The carbine looks 'old' with well matching wear on the parts. The last four digits of the serial number are repeated on the top of the bolt, in the sling slot, on the slide arm and on the trigger itself. Except for the stamped sight and these extra numbers, I judge this carbine is close to original condition with many early style parts. What does the collective wisdom think?
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.