Today @ 11:29 AM
    Real Name
    Steve
    Local Date
    05-26-2024
    Local Time
    04:33 PM

Vetterli 6.5 Carcano

I picked up a Vetterli Carcano at auction yesterday which all in all isn't in bad shape except for having very little finish left on the barrel and action. The bore looks pretty nice although I haven't run anything through it yet. Exterior was pretty much rust free but some light orange rust in the barrel channel which came right off. Barrel is very slightly pitted on the bottom. Action works smooth. I have not taken the bolt out yet to examine it for cracks.

It has a couple of issues. I need a front barrel band a cleaning rod and a sling. I also need to repair the front sight which is missing the left half of the support and the blade itself. I expect I am going to have to make both of these items myself which isn't the problem. The problem is how do I fasten them. They are brazed on by the looks of things as I can see the remains of that where the left side is missing. In that the barrel sleeve is soldiered in on these I would assume it's not wise to heat things up too much. So what recommendations can you make for installing a new front sight?

The sling isn't a high priority, I have one that looks like those that I've seen in various photos. If anyone has a spare front barrel band or cleaning rod or knows someone who does, please let me know. I searched the various gun parts companies with no luck. I'll post some photos when I get a chance to take some.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

2. Thank You to Aragorn243 For This Useful Post: