I bought this pistol many years ago and was told it was a Model 1908 that had gone to South Africa, hence the over stamped Serial No. Unfortunately I never did get a UV light onto it to try to find the original serial. It was saved from destruction and is now at a Sec 7.3 designated place.
I have since been told that it has the early pre 1914 square front and Metford Rifling. The grips are replacement wooden ones. There is a number 896 inside the slide and at the rear of the chamber. There is a number 48 stamped inside the slide rails and under the chamber.
According to the Webley book by Bruce the total production of all variants was 1694. This variant with 12 serrations on the slide had a production run of 645. Production ceased in December 1914. Bruce states that the bulk of those made in 1914 were made in December that year. They had serial numbers 115065 to 115199 and 116500 to 116873.
Any help tying down the exact model or with the over stamped serial number would be appreciated.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.