It's been five months, surgery, and two auto wrecks since I've been shooting, and it was a beautiful day to do it. Granted, I've not shot for five months, but my club has changed the target system. Instead of re-bar frames and thick cardboard insert squares, we now have a Nylon line stretched across the berm with targets suspended from binder clamps and cardboard box sides. Easier to use, but today the wind was blowing and the targets were swinging towards and away from me so I had to try to time my shots between swings.

I brought my two new antiques; an 1892 M88 Springfield trapdoor, and an 1884 Brescia M70/87/15 Italianicon Vetterli. Both rifles had not been shot in ages; the M88 in 1957, and who knows when the Vetterli was. Both have great bores. I shot 20 rounds from each at 100 yards; commercial reloads for the trapdoor with black powder substitute and 500gr flat point bullets and a box of prvi partizan 6,5 Carcano. Both rifles were stiff from non use, but got slicker as they warmed up, and no problems with either. It took four rounds to find how and where to set the sights (ladder down, and low on the paper) for the Springfield. I had moved the rear sight two notches left at first, but as I finished left, I put it back to center at the end. After 20 rounds the shoulder was a little sore. The Vetterli was harder to figure out with its odd rear sight. Turns out it shot about one meter above POA, so I had to aim at the ground under the target to hit center. It took the first 12 rounds to do that, and I hit 6 of the last eight afterwards. Recoil was very light; between a 22 and a M1icon carbine.

It is personally a lot of fun for me to take out the real old ones from time to time. Happy shooting.

T

Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.