Today @ 07:42 AM
    Real Name
    Steve
    Local Date
    05-30-2024
    Local Time
    08:45 AM

1944 Springfield Armory Garand

This is the Garandicon I was asking advice about in the "Looking at" thread.

It is an April/May 1944 SA production receiver with a 7-51 SA barrel. Internals of the trigger assembly all appear to be SA production but I did not fully take it apart. Bore is bright with no blemishes. Bullet shows an 8th inch. Postwar or late war rear sight, very faint import mark on barrel ARL ORD ARLINGTON VA. Some light surface rust on receiver and exposed barrel. Internals are clean.

Stock has no markings I can find. It has been sanded on the bottom of the grip and both sides of the butt, probably to remove Korean rack numbers. No cracks, grain is VERY nice, looks to be leaning toward tiger stripes in a few areas. Sights turn with solid clicks and movement. Hook on trigger guard is firm. Small oilier in butt. Operating rod marked NM, no other National Match markings that I can find although bolt is stamped M on the bottom. I did not tear down the barrel coverings other than the rear hand guard. The metal clip on that should probably be replaced as it is pitted badly.

Price was $680 out the door, seemed fair to me as I desired a WWII production rifle. Photos below. If you see any glaring deficiencies, let me know. I was told it was owned by the same individual for 25 years, purchased then at a local gunshop. He has shot it occasionally. Needed quick cash, had to sell in a week. First gunshop offered him $300 which is robbery in my opinion. Second gunshop told him he'd do his best.

I have done nothing to it since I brought it home last evening with the exception of running a bit of steel wool over the receiver markings. I did this just to ensure the rust would come off and did not fully clean it. It all pretty much looked like the edges where it is still showing spotty rust.

Stock I will probably clean as I doubt I can get the butt areas to match the color. Rust I obviously plan to remove. Don't intend to do anything more with the metal beside clean the dirt off.

I need to research more before I take it any further apart.

Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by Aragorn243; 06-26-2014 at 07:07 PM.