Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
Well spotted Owengun, yes that is a military broad arrow on a BSA commercial barrel, something I have not seen before. RSAF Enfield were making spare woodwork with provision for the mag cutoff so that it would fit any model of SMLE, Even in 1940 BSA were using cutoffs, the elimination of the cutoff was a WW1 concession and was to be resumed once the war was over. 1940 BSA No1 MK III - Pre-dispersal? is a rifle to compare yours to. I do note the commercial BSA mark. With enfields you are always learning.
So maybe it was not a sporter rebuilt and put together by someone from parts in his garage and it could possibly be a BSA factory refitted rifle done post war for some reason unknown now? The serial number font on the barrel is exactly the same as the font stamped on the bolt and nose cap!

Also post war bayonets when rebuilt were given a blued all over finish, including the blade, they found it was not good to let the enemy know you were about to go over the top by flashing your shiny blades at them first. When I was in the army all of our bayonets had dark finished blades except the parade ones.