Threaded View

Last On
    09-27-2022 @ 11:12 PM
    Local Date
    06-15-2024
    Local Time
    02:42 PM

Lee-Metford MkI*

Attached are a few photos of my MLM I* which originated as a MLM I in '89. Have wanted one of these for a while but had to be patient. This one has original barrel with additional matching numbers on the sight leaf and the triggerguard. The bolt doesn't seem to have a serial #, just 10.88. As you can see, on action-body and barrel, original serial # 894 is crossed out and DP. 1891 stamped above. There is also a small DP on butt and very faintly on forend just in front of magazine. "Sold from service" marks are also visible and no import marks. The bore is very clean and shiny but I have no idea how worn it is as this is the only metford rifling I've ever seen up-close. Very minor pitting below wood on the barrel and the forend is in excellent shape with very tight fit at the draws and the perfect seamless fit against the cheeks that I've seen on numerous MLE's.

For those not familiar, the MLM I and I* have some significant differences from the subsequent MLM II, II* and MLE rifles. These include bolt head (retained by screw), dust cover, barrel profile, magazine (8 round single row on MLM I and I*), upper band/ nosecap, trigger/ sear, etc, etc. The "upgrade" from MLM I to I* involved change of rear sight and elimination of the very SMLE-like safety found on the MLM I. The MLM II was approved in Jan, 1892, so the Britishicon Lee evolved pretty quickly in the early days.

Questions: Is the 1891 following "DP" likely the year it was downgraded? Any ideas about the markings on the butt-disk?

Ridolpho
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by Ridolpho; 05-09-2015 at 01:08 PM.

2. The Following 10 Members Say Thank You to Ridolpho For This Useful Post: