I am having a brain freeze on this one. Straighten me out if I am wrong on this one.

A military proof is not accepted for the sale of that arm on the Britishicon market.

Some military pattern arms, for example, Sht.LE Mk.III made by BSA were made commercially available to the public. These rifles carry a set of proof marks that includes a crowned BM.

This class of proof is found only on commercial military pattern arms and surplus ex-service arms and is accepted as a civilian proof for sale on the British market. So crown BM is in effect a civilian proof mark denoting a military spec arm.

Previous to this, in addition to its gun proofs, for a fee of one shilling and sixpence, a commercial arm could have a number of record and a factory inspector stamp applied certifying that the rifle met the standard for use in service rifle competition.

A commercial pattern rifle that was marked with the crown BM set of proofs was allowed to be used in service rifle competition?

So two questions that are for my own confirmation;-
Rifles with these crown BM proofs were tested at the Birmingham Proof House.
Rifles with standard military proofs were tested right at the factory.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.