I had the absolute pleasure of meeting a collector chap just the other day about this rifle, and with his permission I have some pictures as well as what I can tell about it. The pictures are not the best but show the important parts.

First off I am very new to Parker Hale and the british target rifles in general, but this rifle seems like it got quite a workout.

It is a 1917 BSA ShtLe MKIII* (Same year as my BSA and with very very distinctly similar looking wood furniture ) It looks that the metal has been almost entirely refinished, and then maintained. The nosecap is unnumbered and comes with a PH sight protector hood (Which has evidently been there and taken on and off a number of times by corresponding wearing of the ears where they have been slid on and off). The butt-stock has a blank marking disc and looks to have been scrubbed or steamed of all of its markings on the RHS, but it is most certainly a military butt as it has two repairs, top and bottom, of the rear shoulders of the butt-stock (Same as my 1917 BSA), but on the bottom of the butt-stock forward of the heel to the butt-socket are some inspector looking marks. It comes with a PH5 rear aperture sight with the 'SMLE' plate on the side, and with this is even a PH marked stamped steel protector that clips onto the charger guide and is held somewhat by the cocking piece (very cool). I took a peak into the mag-well and thought I could see what looked like some compound tucked up between the action and fore-end. It also came with a short wide sling (which the owner found to be an old Lewis gun sling altered to suit target shooting with the MKIII's. When slung from the mid-band and trigger guard it is a good length to tuck your arm into, that is if you are a tad shorter than a lanky fellow like me.). It also retains MKIII rear sights with windage adjustment (Different serial), and a 'HV' mark on the barrel rearward of it. No 'SC'.

Now for the interesting things that had me curious: It has what looks to be a commercial BSA barrel that has been Ball Burnished and proofed. The muzzle is distinct from military barrels I have seen, and on the knox is a nice BSA crossed rifles stamp as well as minimal other marks but a serial and proof. Would it be normal for PH to replace the military barrel with a commercial one? As well as that are these two screws, one either side, of the trigger guard going up into the fore-end, which I can only guess go up and into relative threaded holes in the sear lugs to anchor the fore-end a bit more.

Again, I know little about Parker Hale, but the owner of this rifle, and myself, would like to find out as much as we can about it, as it is very very nice.

Attachment 96770Attachment 96771Attachment 96772Attachment 96773Attachment 96774Attachment 96775Attachment 96776Attachment 96777Attachment 96778Attachment 96779Attachment 96780Attachment 96781
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.