Threaded View

Last On
    09-19-2023 @ 12:24 AM
    Local Date
    05-25-2024
    Local Time
    10:44 AM

My combined Quality Hardware rehab thread

I decided to start a combine, dedicated thread on my new CMPicon Quality Hardware Carbine rehab project. I have parts of it in 3 different threads, so I want to put it together.

I started with a CMP "Service Grade" Quality Hardware mix-master in an Italianicon "FAT 77" stock. I picked up a very beat up, stained Q-RMC stock on eBay for $70. I knew it needed work. SInce I don't get the carbine itself out of Commiefornia jail until the end of the week, I will start with the stock.

The stock had been stripped and roughly sanded, but was a mass of black spots and splotches. Under the tutelage of our Charlie Painter 777, I set out to save it. It had a couple cracks, but they were not a problem I haven't fixed before.

First step was to do two successive applications of Bar Keeper's Frien paste, each time wrapping it in saran wrap tightly for an hour to soak, then rinsing and brushing off, then redoing the same process again. The result: MUCH improved!

While MUCH improved, I felt putting on RLO now would display the now much reduced spots. After careful fine sanding, and wiping with Mineral Spirits, I used Minwax penetrating wiping stain (not an all in one, but rather oil based stain). I chose Dark walnut. After one heavy wet application that soaked in for 15 minutes, I wiped it and let it dry for 4 hours. I then used a 3/1 mix of RLO/BLOicon to give it a start on the finish. If I used straight RLO in the winter in the mountains, it would still be drying in May. The 3/1 mix suggested by Charley for this stock worked great. I will do several future applications when it has time to cure.

As you can see, it is quite a difference! While not a perfect restoration by any means, it will better match the condition of the Quality than it would without having bleached and stained. It has just enough "been there, done that" look to where I won't cringe taking it out in the mountains putzing around. The dark walnut stain makes the dark spots far less obvious, though if I had not used the Bar Keepers to significantly lighten them, it would not have come out nearly as nice.

Many thanks to all for their suggestions, but special thanks tho Charley. When I get the carbine out of jail, I will do picks of it and a complete break down of parts.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by imarangemaster; 03-04-2019 at 10:42 PM.

2. The Following 2 Members Say Thank You to imarangemaster For This Useful Post: