I posted this on another forum and didn't get much traffic. Milsurps seems to be a good place to share this. I am attempting to piece together a 03A4 I don't mind shooting from genuine parts. I already have two genuine bolts. I am 95% sure they are genuine anyways. What I find interesting though is the variation between the two. They are most definitely from different years of manufacturing and I was wondering if any of the experts could shed some light on what I have? Maybe in my pursuit to build a replica I need to be even more specific and build one from a certain year or date range? Anyways, the pictures below show the differences between what I am calling bolt assembly A on the left and B on the right. Maybe you'll notice more, but so far I have noticed the following:
  • 4 marked on firing pin rod of assembly B
  • small hole drilled on bottom of cocking piece on assembly A
  • Different font type for "R" marked on lug of each cocking piece
  • What appears to be a T and 10 marked on rear bolt handle of assembly A and maybe a 6 on assembly B
  • very different machining marks on rear of bolt handles
  • Different font type for "R" marked on bottom of each bolt handle
  • Different machining marks on bottom of bolt handles
  • Different font type for Ready marked on safety selector
  • Different machining marks on bolt sleeve assemblies
  • "L" marked on rear of safety selector on assembly B
  • "R" marked on striker of assembly A, nothing on B
  • Different coil directions for mainsprings (and flipping one over doesn't change the twist direction... I tried... for awhile, lol)
  • mainspring on assembly A is SIGNIFICANTLY stronger than assembly B and appears to be a heavier gauge
  • pentagon on rear of assembly B
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.