Picked up this SMLE last week. I was told by the previous owner that it was a Britishicon Homeguard rifle which is why is has the red paint stripes on it. Wikipedia seems to confirm that the British Homeguard did paint red stripes on their issued rifles. All numbers match on the gun except for the nose cap.

My confusion is the large amount of DP stamps I have found on the rifle. These DP stamps are only located on the wood furniture, and on the nose cap. There are no DP stampings anywhere else on the actual rifle itself. I have disassembled the rifle, and have found no stampings on the actual rifle itself that indicate it being demilled or DP'd.

I’m looking for insight as to whether this rifle is not actually a Drill Purpose rifle, but simply had DP furniture added when it was reissued to the homeguard?

The previous owner told me he fired many rounds through it quite often with no issue. The bolt matches the receiver, everything locks up right, and the bore is nice and shiny.

Images below

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.