Thread: New member with a question - Lee Speed Carbine: Jameson Raid and other questions

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Threaded View

Advisory Panel
    Last On
    05-29-2024 @ 06:22 PM
    Local Date
    06-02-2024
    Local Time
    09:12 PM
    I have been researching the encircled V mark for some years, along with the encircled E mark that almost always accompanies it. I have been steadily developing and eliminating various theories. All sorts of collectors and experts have offered their opinions, but I am convinced that (so far) none of them know for certain. I doubt there is anyone left alive who remembers for sure, and the number of men who actually ever knew this information was probably very small. This was a long time ago. I'm sure the very last of these rifles was made prior to WWII. From examining specimens and weighing the various theories, I believe the following to be true:

1) They are not proof marks
    2) They are not likely to be government view marks, although I once suspected they might have something to do with government inspection
    3) They have nothing to do with Metford or Enfield rifling
    4) I have seen at least the V on a .22, though it might have been stamped there on the original .303 barrel before it was converted
    5) They do not stand for "Enfield" and "Vickers"

Unless some archival discovery occurs, only time and sufficient collection of data will tell.

Rowdy -- I hope you are well. We are past due for a catch up call.
    SMLE addict - I am not sure I sent you a proper reply to the great info you sent me a while ago on your Lee Speeds. My apologies--time just gets away. I will email you.
    Last edited by Jc5; 11-05-2021 at 03:21 PM.
    Researching Lee Speeds and all commercial Lee Enfields. If you have data to share or questions, please send me a PM.

2. Thank You to Jc5 For This Useful Post: