Quote Originally Posted by Brian Dickicon View Post
I've put this out there before. Here it is again. Try Dollar General or Dollar Tree clear ammonia. I learned it from a guy in Florida who specialized in restoring antique rifles when I was a kid. I have a Brownells plastic tub long enough for forends. Soak the wood, let sit a few minutes, then gently sponge and clean with a fine Scotchbrite scrub/sponge pad. Use a soft toothbrush for the inletting, nooks and crannies. Rinse with clear water and dry. Your wood will be ready for glue, patching if necessary or other repairs. Then just treat with raw linseed oilicon, or stain first if you want. Been doing it that way for 30 years. I work outdoors with it. It's cheap and easy to do and won't hurt a thing. Try it on a handguard or scrap if you don't believe me and see for yourself.
Ammonia, Ill check it out, but that smell! Kerosene smells properly industrial to me, simple green is, at least to me, a pleasant nostalgic smell Ive never identified, mineral spirits and turpentine, meh. I know smell isnt a practical indicator, but it will just take some getting used to!

Ive got three important projects, but a goodly number of old '03 stocks (S, Scant and C of '03 and A3 configuration) that needs work, so I may have to try a number of these methods. I refer not to apply heat, but all of these suggestions sound worth a test. It should ben noted that the stocks that need cleaning have simply been used, oiled, greased, dragged in dirt, sweat upon, etc. for decades. These are battle hardened military stocks and for the most part made of a decent grade of Walnut.

I thank you all for your input