Threaded View

Last On
    03-27-2024 @ 09:40 AM
    Local Date
    06-15-2024
    Local Time
    12:28 AM

An interesting 'naughty' Irish Trainer, Rifle No. 2 MKIV

I recently came across this splendid, interesting and 'very bad' .22lr calibre trainer rifle.

It is an Enfiled so I won't explain why it is splendid, to be precise it is an Enfield type rifle, model no. 2 MKIV.

I will however try to explain why it is in my opinion interesting and "naughty".

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

You will certainly have noticed the unusual plate for mounting a probable sight scope,

[IMG][/IMG]

the plate held by a Phillips-type screw instead of the normal screw/ejector (which is not needed in trainers) will immediately turn the noses of purists, but before making hasty judgments let's move on for a moment.

. . BSA barrel in .22 with the commercial logo of the well-known Birmingham manufacturer

[IMG][/IMG]

Curious brass disc that at first glance screams "bubba!" because the characters are not consistent with the most common identification discs, but here too let's wait a moment before making hasty judgments...

[IMG][/IMG]

Let's take a good look at the brass disc...

Here we see why 'naughty'...

ANTRIM is a county (and a town) in the north-east of Northern Ireland, on the banks of the Six Mile Water.

BALLYLURGAN is the English name of a locality in the aforementioned county. The Irish call Ballylugan 'Baile na Lorgan'....

USC stands for 'Ulster Special Constabulary' More commonly known as 'B Special', a paramilitary reserve police force in what would later become Northern Ireland.
    It was established in October 1920, shortly before the partition of Ireland. It was an armed force, partly organised on a military basis and called upon in times of emergency, such as wars or insurrections.
    It played this role especially in the early 1920s, during the Irish War of Independence and the IRA campaign of 1956-1962.
    During its years of operation it was guilty of atrocities committed often in revenge against the Irish people.
    The Special Constabulary was disbanded in May 1970, its functions and members largely taken over by the Ulster Defence Regiment and the Royal Ulster Constabulary.

The rifle can therefore be traced back to the fearsome Irish Paramilitary Police Force.

Let us now take a step back, and see why I find it interesting (as if the story of its identification disc wasn't enough...)

The attachment of the sight scope...

It is well known that the "B Special" used "custom" training rifles, in fact the Parker Hale diopter (called the B Special) is known to have been produced expressly for this purpose (the ugliest diopter ever seen).

[IMG][/IMG]

In order to be used, the safety lever had to be brutally bent in order to function properly...

[IMG][/IMG]

If I had been told that the above-illustrated diopter was original equipment for the weapon, a piece of sheet metal folded with a thinner horizontally sliding plate with a hole in the centre for aiming, I probably would have laughed. Documenting a little, I not only found evidence of the existence of such a diopter, but it turns out to have been manufactured by Parker Hale specifically for B-special. Over the years, I have found four rifles with mounting holes for such a diopter. To mount it, it was necessary to make a small cut in the wood and drill two holes in the receiver (photo below)

[IMG][/IMG]

Of these four rifles, only two were still complete, one had only a recess in the wood with holes and one (mine) had a recess in the wood, holes and a folded safety lever. All were, however, traceable to Northern Ireland Paramilitary Police equipment.

So, before I cry foul when looking at that unusual scope mount, I prefer to tread lightly and do some research.
    I ask, has anyone ever seen anything like it?
    Thank you all for any answers.

2. The Following 5 Members Say Thank You to tappo For This Useful Post: