Quote Originally Posted by enbloc8 View Post
Inch pattern receivers have been made intermittently (and of varying quality) by several American manufacturers.

DSA is probably the best known; their early Australianicon-pattern examples (made by a subcontractor called LMT) were of excellent quality, while their in-house examples (both Australian and Britishicon pattern) have been hit and miss.

Two now-defunct companies, Entreprise Arms of California and Coonan Arms of Minnesota, also made inch pattern receivers in the past. Outside of early Entreprise examples (also made by a subcontractor, also excellent), they tended to be problematic, ranging from "minor issues" to "blatantly unsafe".

IMBEL of Brazilicon (a legitimate FAL manufacturer) produced semi-automatic versions of metric Type 3 receivers for the US market in the 1980s. Century Arms had some of them cut to accept inch pattern mags for their "R1A1" rifles (assembled in Canadaicon from a mixture of inch and metric parts), and some have machined the British-pattern profile cuts into those receivers. Many consider that the best option for building a proper-looking British rifle today,
I have two Imbels built as L1A1's (The Aussie clone in the OP, and an NZ clone with black plastic furniture.) and one DSA made up as an STG58.

I went hunting for the Imbel receivers as they were recommended to me as the best ones to build a kit on.
The old DSA STG is a great rifle, it's 20 years old, but apparently DSA receivers are no longer to be trusted.

I chose to have these built to accept metric magazines, as I own a supply of metric magazines.

All personal choice.