I bought one of those barreled actions from SARCO for $25. Barrel was toast so I made a 30-06 target rifle out of it. Just had to replace follow, follower spring and use a cut down M1917 magazine box. It turned out to be a good (for the time) target rifle. There was only minor pitting where the barrel ring held the upper hand guard to the receiver. The action is a twin to my Remington 30 Express. Crossman really loved the M1903 and really railed against the Rem 30. I have built target rifles on both M1903 actions and Rem 30 actions. I believe the Rem 30 to be the better choice. More rigid action with a faster lock time.
These rifles came out of Honduras and varied greatly in quality due to lack of care. I ordered a second one from SARCO and it was very deeply pitted and came with a M1917 bolt. I returned it. I know that SARCO stripped parts off these rifles and sold them separately because I bought a complete bolt and some spare (Rem 30) styled bolt parts as spares.
I would really liked to have a good serviceable rifle but SARCO had none for sale
FWIW
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.