Thread: Home Made Tooling for your Lee Enfield.

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Threaded View

Last On
    03-26-2024 @ 07:30 AM
    On the right side of Australia, below the middle and a little bit in from the edge.
    Local Date
    05-19-2024
    Local Time
    11:12 PM

Home Made Tooling for your Lee Enfield.

Following up on Bearclaw's request for barrel vise info, I thought I'd start a thread where contributors could put diagrams or pictures of the tools they have made or modified to do some of the work required for their rifles.

I'll kick off here with my barrel vise.
    It's a very simple construction, involving 2 pieces of 1" flat bar, six inches wide and about nine inches long.
    Together with four 1" grade eight bolts, they form the clamp to hold together two blocks of hardwood which have been routed to form around the diameter of the barrel. The hardwood is cut for both standard and heavy profile barrels.
    There is a bit of 1" x 2" flat bar securely welded to the base so the whole thing can be gripped in a large bench vise.

I would advise that the rear sight be removed from the barrel and the barrel pushed into the clamp to just short of the knox if the action does not unscrew easily (which none do!)
    For our US counterparts, your closest thing to Aussie Hardwood (in this case seasoned spotted gum) would be high carbon steel... trust me, no tree on your part of the planet is as hard as this, and any may break before the clamp was tight enough.

Note in the last pic, you can see my receiver wrench... I'll do another post on it later.

Attachment 23630Attachment 23629Attachment 23628Attachment 23631Attachment 23632
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.