Thread: Kalifornia compliant Colt Model 653 (kinda) carbine clone now my PATROL CARBINE)

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Threaded View

Last On
    09-19-2023 @ 12:24 AM
    Local Date
    05-13-2024
    Local Time
    07:29 AM

Kalifornia compliant Colt Model 653 (kinda) carbine clone now my PATROL CARBINE)

Posted a variation of this on AR15 retro and Milsurps Carbine forums.

Just got clearance from my job to carry my 653 as a patrol carbine. I have a armed contract patrolling dams and powerhouses in the Sierra at night (Homeland Security mandated "Critical Infrastructure Protection") Up to now I have been only armed with 9mm. Considering the plethora of mountain lion (saw 2 different ones this week), Mexican Mafia dope growers in the National Forest, and the fact that I am on patrol to prevent Akmed and his Muji buddies from blowing up dams, I have been feeling under-gunned . It is a solo patrol, and the county Sheriif is only back up. It is a good gig, three 12 hour shifts a week in a new Jeep Rubicon, but it will be nice to have a 5.56 backup now. When I was a deputy, I carried one that was NOT nuetered. Oh, well,my retro will get used for the AR15s original intended purpose.

Here is the 653 project. In order to use magazines with a capacity of greater than 10 rounds in Kalifornia, it must be a "Featureless" build: i.e. NO pistol grip, no collapsible stock, no EVIL flash hider.

It is a JD Machine A2 lower,
    M16A1 upper, including BCG,
    ER Shaw 16" 1/9 twist barrel,
    Wilson Combat Comp muzzle brake,
    pinned 4 position Fiberlite stock (pinned open)
    Hammerhead non-pistol grip.

The high capacity magazine must have been possessed by the shooter in Kalifornia, prior to the ban in 2000. Kalifornia's laws are beyond moronic, but this carbine embodies the ways around it. I wanted a KISS retro carbine as a snatch and grab weapon that could use my high caps. The hammerhead is more secure, and handles much better than the other two grip options, Monsterman Grip and Kydex grip panels. It shoots and handle very well, though I need a ambidextrous safety, as the hammerhead (and other two options) prevent using strong hand to take the weapon off safe.

Pardon cell phone pics.

Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

2. The Following 2 Members Say Thank You to imarangemaster For This Useful Post: