I have one of the Lithgowicon-built "sporters" in this calibre; nice "high-comb" butt and "tastefully" bobbed ex-mil coachwood fore-end.

With the old "Super" 87gn soft-points, it is spectacularly accurate, but those bullets haven't been made for well over a decade. I look for them at every gun-show and out-of-the-way gunshop I find. The good news is that Hornady and Speer seem to have some likely candidates for replacement.

WARNING: the Sierra 90gn BTHP pills shoot abominably in the slow-twist Lithgow barrel as their nice "slinky" profile makes them too long to stabilise in the barrel's 1:14" twist. In a 1:10" twist barrelled .25_06, they are an entirely different beast, however.

Mine has a "period original" "Field" brand scope mount. The dreadful (period original) piece of oriental optical technology has been replaced by a 2-7 Leupold: MUCH better, especially in low light.

All that aside, you can spend some serious bucks to restore your BSA to original 1918 configuration or, go with it as a sporter, lots of fun either way.