1. It appears that you are you're enjoying our Military Surplus Collectors Forums, but haven't created an account yet. As an unregistered guest, your are unable to post and are limited to the amount of viewing time you will receive, so why not take a minute to Register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to our forums and knowledge libraries, plus the ability to post your own messages and communicate directly with other members. So, if you'd like to join our community, please CLICK HERE to Register !

Already a member? Login at the top right corner of this page to stop seeing this message.

Thread: My SMLE

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Threaded View

FREE MEMBER
    NO Posting or PM's Allowed
    Last On
    11-08-2018 @ 09:04 AM
    Real Name
    Richard Hare.
    Local Date
    05-18-2024
    Local Time
    04:56 PM
    Ovidio,

If you have reloaded the Hornady brass a few times, it is very likely fatigue causing your cases to fail. The .303 is rather hard on cases, and we sometimes only get a few reloads before case separation.
    There are ways to extend case life, such as only neck sizing or minimal case sizing, but these rifles will stretch the cases more than some other types. Maybe do a search on case separation.

To remove a stuck case, run another round into it, and then extract. It will usually pull out the remains. Or, a good screwdriver with a blade wide enough to grip the walls of the failed case;
    Push it into the case, twist, and the case usually comes out. For this it makes sense to sharpen the sides of the blade very squarely, so they bight into the case walls.
    I have had a good few cases fail over the years, and the screwdriver or another round have always extracted the bad case.
    I do not think it is a headspace problem, it is just what these rifles tend to do with reloads at a certain point.
    If a case has been reloaded a few times, and a wire it inserted into the case mouth, sometimes a groove can be felt a few mm in front of the rim, where the case is about to separate. Another warning sign, is a ligther coloured line around the case, and this is where the brass is stretched thin and will fail .

Hope this helps!
    Richard.
    Last edited by Richard Hare; 12-30-2017 at 10:01 PM.