1. It appears that you are you're enjoying our Military Surplus Collectors Forums, but haven't created an account yet. As an unregistered guest, your are unable to post and are limited to the amount of viewing time you will receive, so why not take a minute to Register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to our forums and knowledge libraries, plus the ability to post your own messages and communicate directly with other members. So, if you'd like to join our community, please CLICK HERE to Register !

Already a member? Login at the top right corner of this page to stop seeing this message.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Hybrid View

Last On
    03-29-2021 @ 03:01 PM
    Local Date
    05-17-2024
    Local Time
    02:04 AM
    "...250 yds. to make it hit POA..." At what distance?
    It's the front sight, but you do not file that to lower the POI. Front sights get moved in the opposite direction you want the group to go. I'd be inclined to find a matched set if you can. Vs fiddling with the front blade.
    Or you could just shoot it the way it is. Knowing where the thing shoots is most important.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Spelling and Grammar count!

Advisory Panel
    Last On
    @
    Real Name
    Bob
    Local Date
    05-16-2024
    Local Time
    11:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    "...250 yds. to make it hit POA..." At what distance?
    It's the front sight, but you do not file that to lower the POI. Front sights get moved in the opposite direction you want the group to go. I'd be inclined to find a matched set if you can. Vs fiddling with the front blade.
    Or you could just shoot it the way it is. Knowing where the thing shoots is most important.
    Shooting it "the way it is" works, but I'm more interested in finding out why this carbine needs the rear sight set at 250 yds to hit where it's aimed. My shooting distance is 25 yards and I use the 25 Yard M1icon Carbine Target from the TM when trying out a "new to me" carbine. The ammo I used is Remington 110g MC. What do you mean by finding a matched set? If you mean a set from another gun, you'd end up with (2) guns that need some "fiddling," wouldn't you? I doubt that both sights have been changed on this carbine, but one or the other may have been. If so, which one shows more evidence of it? By appearance, the rear one may have been swapped, or at least moved slightly to the left and then re-staked. The way it shoots points to the front sight being replaced, but why wouldn't it have been targeted? I'm still waiting for someone to comment on the "tool mark" shown on the left receiver rail. Thanks! - Bob

3. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
    Last On
    01-17-2023 @ 09:10 PM
    Local Date
    05-17-2024
    Local Time
    01:04 AM
    Bob none of your photos show the left side of the receiver.

Advisory Panel
    Last On
    @
    Real Name
    Bob
    Local Date
    05-16-2024
    Local Time
    On the top of the left rail, Bruce. Looks almost like a mark the jaws of a lathe chuck can leave on a work piece. Possibly from a fixture or vise used in the milling process?? I was also thinking it could have gotten there from tools used during a barrel change, or some other GI carbine tool such as for changing the rear sight. - Bob

Last On
    01-17-2023 @ 09:10 PM
    Local Date
    05-17-2024
    Local Time
    01:04 AM
    I doubt that the sight was factory installed. There were six stake marks on this sight two of which are almost in two others The vast majority of factory punch marks are done on the right side and just two punch marks. But someone sure wanted to be sure this sight just did not have a chance to move.

7. Thank You to Bruce McAskill For This Useful Post:

Advisory Panel
    Last On
    @
    Real Name
    Bob
    Local Date
    05-16-2024
    Local Time
    Bruce, I agree about the rear sight staking on this carbine. Was it you that posted awhile back about the differences between Type 2 and Type 3 rear sights in regard to the area on them meant to be used for staking? It seems like it was in reference to information in a CCNL, but may have been something I read over on the CC Forum. Can you think of a reason why this carbine has nearly a full height front sight on it? Your earlier post sounded like you thought I needed to add height to it, but that would be going in the wrong direction. I have several other pictures of the front sight (different angles and lighting) I can post, if it would help. Thanks! - Bob

Last On
    04-22-2024 @ 08:41 AM
    Real Name
    John
    Local Date
    05-17-2024
    Local Time
    The rear sight could have been restaked at a later date, that would explain the divot patterns. Also, original sights were not always staked the way some newsletter, book or online site says they were. Securing the sight to the dovetail, adjustable or flip, was the most important thing.

10. Thank You to deldriver For This Useful Post:

Advisory Panel
    Last On
    @
    Real Name
    Bob
    Local Date
    05-16-2024
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by INLAND44 View Post
    There it is. I can't believe the discussion continues as if the question were not answered.
    The actual question was not how to sight in a carbine, but how this carbine escaped getting sighted in. The sight doesn't appear to be a recent addition. I'll check the blade height, but it does appear to be close to "new" dimensions. It's not exactly what I would call a new sight, though! - Bob

Advisory Panel browningautorifle's Avatar
    Last On
    Yesterday @ 06:30 PM
    Real Name
    Jim
    Local Date
    05-16-2024
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by USGI View Post
    how this carbine escaped getting sighted in.
    I think the suggestion of it having a flip sight originally and then the adjustable one being fitted makes most sense. That would account for it. Why it wasn't re-patterned, well if it was fitted after the military, then that would do it. There's no way to tell if it was civilian fitted. At this age, it's just guessing...
    Regards, Jim

13. Thank You to browningautorifle For This Useful Post:

Last On
    04-23-2022 @ 07:42 PM
    Local Date
    05-17-2024
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by USGI View Post
    The actual question was not how to sight in a carbine, but how this carbine escaped getting sighted in. The sight doesn't appear to be a recent addition. I'll check the blade height, but it does appear to be close to "new" dimensions. It's not exactly what I would call a new sight, though! - Bob
    Oops. Okay, I'd say it had the 'wrong' sight on it after the rebuild and somebody 'corrected' it but didn't bother to sight it in. Yes, I agree, its not really a 'new' sight because they have really high, pointed blades. This one has been adjusted but just not for the rifle its on now.
    'Really Senior Member' Especially since I started on the original Culver forum. That had to be about 1998.

15. Thank You to INLAND44 For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast