1. It appears that you are you're enjoying our Military Surplus Collectors Forums, but haven't created an account yet. As an unregistered guest, your are unable to post and are limited to the amount of viewing time you will receive, so why not take a minute to Register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to our forums and knowledge libraries, plus the ability to post your own messages and communicate directly with other members. So, if you'd like to join our community, please CLICK HERE to Register !

Already a member? Login at the top right corner of this page to stop seeing this message.

+ Reply to Thread
Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Hybrid View

Advisory Panel browningautorifle's Avatar
    Last On
    Yesterday @ 11:42 PM
    Real Name
    Jim
    Local Date
    05-18-2024
    Local Time
    05:07 AM
    The primers look to me to be about right considering the bolt face, look at it you'll see. It's likely not beautiful itself. If they were FLAT, it would be because of high pressures.

The swelling isn't a problem, look at your .45 cases sometime... As for case shape, it's still different from the .351 by just a bit.

Won't cycle because of bolt weight...yes...needs large transverse holes in the slide up front. Mine ejected 9mm completely. Also if you can polish the chamber a bit with fine machine paper and oil you'll be gold. There's a bit of roughness on the cases...I think.

You'll want that mag fixed forward so the cases are controlled into the feed...
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Regards, Jim

Last On
    Yesterday @ 12:02 PM
    Local Date
    05-18-2024
    Local Time
    07:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by browningautorifleicon View Post
    You'll want that mag fixed forward so the cases are controlled into the feed...
    My plan as of now is to take just the top off of the current (aftermarket) magazine and fit it onto the top of the 1911 magazine. Basically I’d be using the width and the magazine latch as a fixture for holding the new magazine.

I’ll be working on the bolt weight first though.

3. Thank You to rcathey For This Useful Post:

4. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
    Advisory Panel browningautorifle's Avatar
    Last On
    Yesterday @ 11:42 PM
    Real Name
    Jim
    Local Date
    05-18-2024
    Local Time
    05:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rcathey View Post
    I’ll be working on the bolt weight first though.
    Won't be hard...you'll see.
    Regards, Jim

Last On
    Yesterday @ 12:02 PM
    Local Date
    05-18-2024
    Local Time
    07:07 AM
    Hello all! Time for an update.

I wasn't able to shave off an entire pound like I was hoping but I did get a bit over 15 ounces converted into shavings. This is close and I suspect will work fine.

I started with drilling holes but that didn't take off enough weight and eventually I chucked this up in a 4-jaw and started shaving some off that way.
    Were I to do this again, I'd start with the lathe. I think it would make for a more attractive finished product and I'd be able to get even more weight off. Since the holes were already there, I wasn't able to go as thin as I would have on the lathe.

I had a few missing parts so I determined that I'd be better off just buying another and transplanting the slide. It's in slightly better shape but has been poorly maintained - I'm having a devil of a time getting the guide rod out to disassemble it. It's soaking in penetrating oil as we speak.

Once I've got it apart, I'll sell the original slide from this one on the other project base.

A couple side by side pics really show how much weight is gone!

Attachment 103830Attachment 103831
    Last edited by rcathey; 11-18-2019 at 11:29 AM.

+ Reply to Thread