Thread: Cleaning up Somme ground-dug 303 Great War SAA.

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Threaded View

Advisory Panel
    Last On
    Today @ 11:43 AM
    Real Name
    Roger Payne
    Local Date
    05-20-2024
    Local Time
    04:43 PM

Cleaning up Somme ground-dug 303 Great War SAA.

As a child my first collecting of anything Enfield related was limited to the occasional bayonet & picking up cartridges on the beach/in the sand dunes on old wartime ranges & training areas. As time went on I started buying, selling, collecting & working on the rifles themselves, & visiting battlefield sites on the European mainland as well as visiting training areas. I still retain a deep interest in battlefield artifacts & in wandering about the Somme in particular, finding the sites of old trenches & dugouts. I've been lucky enough in more recent years to help several of the battlefield archaeological groups that explore the old Western Front. As a consequence I seem to have amassed a bit of a collection of 303 rounds & find it interesting & satisfying cleaning them up to something like they used to look one hundred years ago. I know it is a little off the beaten track, but is Enfield related & I thought one or two people might be interested to see what you can do with some relic cartridges & a car battery charger!

Twenty-five or more years ago, another forummer here told me about the electrolytic method of cleaning metal finds without damaging them. It has been mentioned here on the forum before, & is most useful. It removes corrosion without removing any of the native metal, & involves no abrasives nor acids. I use an everyday car battery charger set to trickle charge, & have fashioned some bent wire to attach to crocodile clips so that I can hold several cartridges at a time in the bucket of cleaning electrolyte. The items to be cleaned act as the negative electrode & suffer no damage, but all rust (from corroded chargers) is reduced to powder which either falls off or can be scraped off with a finger nail! However, the positive electrode is sacrificial, getting gradually & progressively more corroded as the system is running. You can see what remains of a saw after two or three days' immersion in the system. Periodically, the anode should be scraped clean of corrosion to ensure efficient conduction of electricity. The bucket contains just tap water with a sprinkle of washing soda to ensure conductivity. Caustic soda (NaOH) can also be used, but if you try it wear gloves if putting your hand into the mix!

Before the rounds are immersed for cleaning they are all inerted in a kinetic bullet puller. Unfortunately, due to the prolonged time they have spent in the ground the brass has become brittle, & there is at least a 50% loss rate, usually due to neck splits, when inerting. Sometimes, due to oxidation of the lead at the base of the bullet jacket, the lead oxide expands & splits the cupro-nickel jacket, further increasing the likelihood of case neck splits as the bullet comes out. Even so, I have quite a few that have cleaned up nicely. After the cleaning procedure they are left looking clean but dull, though could be polished up if desired. I've shown a few views of rounds before cleaning, of split cases & jackets, & the finished result when all goes right!

They don't have any great monetary value, but it's enjoyable doing it.

Hope forummers might find it of some interest, & a bit different.....
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by Roger Payne; 11-18-2020 at 01:08 PM. Reason: typo