Hello all. I'm Rick. I've been trying to identify an SKS I purchased from GunBroker a few months ago. It was advertised as follows: "Russianicon SKS-45 7.62x39 20" Barrel with 1 magazine."

As you can see many of the original pieces were gone. I have found a correct magazine and a correct receiver cover, but obviously they do not 'match'. I haven't found a bayonet or a cleaning rod yet. I'm not even sure what bayonet it should've had!

Following the very well-researched identification guides in these forums I believe I have a 1952 Soviet SKS based on the physical features still present and the serial number shown below:
[IMG][/IMG]

Unfortunately I can't verify that as the original receiver-cover had been replaced with one having a built-in scope base. I also can't really find any obvious Armory markings, although these markings do appear on either side of the receiver:

I wonder if the very small triangle might be an Izhevsk Armory marking?

This is my plan for the rifle:

Over the years my only criticism of SKS' was the length of the stock; hence I've added a butt-extension for my own comfort. The Ukraine-produced scope may not have ever been mounted on Soviet SKS', but I think it looks sharp, and it's pretty close to 'period-correct'.

I have also run into an issue that having a positive identification might help, or your expert advice might help. I purchased that old wood stock. I had to remove the "locking bolt"(?) that captures the front of the action because it's literally 1/8" to far back. With that bolt properly rotated so that the flat portion of the bolt is facing the action, I cannot drop the action into the stock. If I remove that bolt the action and stock fit together very nicely. I cannot slide the bolt in from one side and screw it down once the action is in the stock though.
Could the dimensions between my SKS(Soviet?) metal and the 'non-original' stock be different because they're from different countries? Any advice and knowledge anyone has to offer would be most appreciated. I know it looks like a "FrankenSKS", but it certainly wasn't a 'collector' when I got it.

I understand that this forum does deal mainly with 'un-modified' service rifles; My hope is to return this one to that condition with the exception of the Ukraine side-mount scope and the butt-extension.

Thank you all for any advice or information in advance.

Rick
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.