Quote Originally Posted by ArtPahl View Post
Mine has the letter S stamped above the number 9 in the cut-off notch. The head of both cross bolts are stamped with the number 2. I'm curious as to whether this is an original Springfield or a later one made for the A4.
There are four types of C Stocks (type numbers per Harrison):
1) Pre-war type 8 NM C-stocks;
2) A3 type 13 C-Stocks (not likely issued during WWII production);
3) Springfield Arms WWII type 14 C-Stocks (upper comb contour same as type 12 Scant Stocks...these were initially made for the '03 without the A3 handguard ring recess, so many were somewhat crudely modified to fit to the A3, later production included the A3 groove; with added A3 groove and bolt groove this stock was also used for early A4s); and
4) The most popular (USGI preferred) type 16 C-Stock (in reality a type 13 with bolt groove added)

Worthy of note: the most common original WWII A4 stock was the type 15 Scant Stock (a type 12 Scant Stock modified with a bolt handle groove).

The fastest way to tell if you have a type 14 rather than a type 8 (somewhat rare and extremely sought after commanding a very high price these days) is to check if the upper comb contour has a longer slopping angle to the wrist (type 14), or if the geometry to the wrist is a higher angle (45 deg?) and small corner radii (type 8). It is my understanding that both were manufactured by Springfield with a range of letters including "S" present in the cut-off well.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.