Quote Originally Posted by ssgross View Post
I found one a year or so ago, and after a few months of mental deliberation I decided to unwrap it. The truth is, keeping these wrapped indefinitely is not a guarantee at preserving them. Some have changed hands often. If not stored well the grease leaks into the outer packaging and deteriorates it to the point that bolt knobs or muzzles begin to peak out. Some get peeled back to check serials, or have import stamps engraved. Mine had worn finish and surface rust starting to form on the protruding bolt knob, some surface rust forming on the exposed muzzle, and spotty heavy tarnish on the brass buttplate corresponding to holes in the deteriorated packaging. It was time.

Take care of it. Teach your kids how to keep it servicable. With time the value lost in unwrapping will return, and when your great-great grand kids get it, it will very well be be better preserved then some of those wrapped ones that spent the last hundred years forgotten about in damp closet, basement, storage shed, or attic.

and welcome to milsurps!
Those are exactly my thoughts on it too — how long is too long for the wrap, it was coming up on 75 years and as you stated some areas were exposed. The butt plate needed some work for sure. Unfortunately, I do have an import stamp on the front barrel — not real noticeable. I documented everything and did my best with photos and video to share the experience with future generataions.

I plan on forming a gun/family trust to pass them on to future generations — whether my kids or my brother’s. In fact my brother will keep watch as the first steward after I am gone. I really don’t want the collection ending up in an estate sale…. Seen some of those. My goal is to ensure they are watched over by someone in the family which a genuine interest and will care for them. I have a lot on my mind as to not make it easy to sell everything off, but flexible enough to allow it in some circumstances. I really need to find and example of one done up and hire and attorney.

---------- Post added at 02:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Alan de Enfield View Post
INo - not anywhere near the original Mil Spes MkVII - Wrong bullet size / shaped, boat tailed, and not cordite - so it has little going for it as all of the ballistics will be different.

I find that the Prvi 174gr FMJ is closer than the 180g 'round nose'
The 174g FMJ shoot high and to the left for me.

You need to ignore the rear sight settings, get onto target, note the ACTUAL marking on the slide and work out (and keep notes of) your sighting table from there.

Very helpful, thank you!

---------- Post added at 03:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:55 PM ----------

Originally Posted by Brian Dickicon View Post
Curious as to whether the 180 grain soft points are a flat base.

Quote Originally Posted by browningautorifleicon View Post
According to a couple dealers...here's the info. Boat tails...if this is what he has.
I’ll grab a photo of the box when I get home — Soft Point 180 grain