1. It appears that you are you're enjoying our Military Surplus Collectors Forums, but haven't created an account yet. As an unregistered guest, your are unable to post and are limited to the amount of viewing time you will receive, so why not take a minute to Register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to our forums and knowledge libraries, plus the ability to post your own messages and communicate directly with other members. So, if you'd like to join our community, please CLICK HERE to Register !

Already a member? Login at the top right corner of this page to stop seeing this message.

+ Reply to Thread
Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Hybrid View

Last On
    Yesterday @ 08:32 AM
    Local Date
    05-18-2024
    Local Time
    01:58 PM
    My observations on firing Tpye-38 and 99 rifles for accuracy differ some from yours . I have fired over 250 T-99s and 80 T-38s for accuracy testing . I have run a military rifle match for about 18 years every weekend with 100's of different shooters and scoring their results . As issued Type-99's were one of just a few military rifles [ one other was the Enfield ] that just could not compete with all the others for bench rest accuracy . To get people to shoot them after a while we had to have special matches just limited to those rifles . Now Type 38 rifles and carbine did win matches with 1 to 1.5 inch 5-shot 100 yard groups on demand . The T-99's main problems were the large dia rear peep hole [ the accuracy did improve a lot if you made the hole smaller , but that was not a legal as issued rifle ] . The lack of good .311 + bullets , no good match type bullets and the bores being as large as .315+ . The chrome bores did not help either . The 6.5 did have many good bullets to pick from so you could find one your rifle really liked . I even won a match with a pair of sub 1.3 groups from a 1905 made T-38 with the .270 bore by using the Hornady .268 Carcano bullets. Finding a Type 38 with a good bore is harder , but worth it . The Type 97's did shoot groups half the size of all the Type 99 snipers tested . Now sub 1 inch compared to sub 2 inch is not the great a difference , but it is still 100% . One of my T-97's was the most accurate WWII military sniper I ever tested . With my 1000's and a friends 1000's of groups shot with many different loads , plus the 1000's of other targets from the other match shooters I feel that is a good sample .
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

2. Thank You to bob q For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread