I have an 1899 Kragicon Carbine that I'm restoring. I am through with it, but for one thing. Previously, it had an ugly bluing job applied to the receiver, which was left in-the-white at the factory. Although the bluing didn't look all that bad, it wasn't the original finish, and that's what I'm after. I have chemically removed the bluing (no polishing at all) and it looks much better. However, I'm now left with metal that has no patina, or age on it. My other Krag receivers are more of a grey-color. I know there is no way to replicate the aged look exactly, I've heard that vinegar and salt can be used to achieve an aged-look, but I don't want to try it on a valuable firearm without getting some more info on this approach. Have any of you done this? Or, is a method other than the vinegar and salt method better? Here is a before and after close-up of the receiver, and an overall pic of the rifle after my restoration. Thanks for any help you might give.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.