05-11-2024 @ 09:06 AM
    Real Name
    K Johnson
    Local Date
    05-13-2024
    Local Time
    08:09 PM

Another family heirloom uncovered: Peruvian 1935 Mauser 30-06

I recently posted about the Inland M1icon Carbine handed down to me by my cousin that his dad, my late uncle, had purchased from the government back in 1968. He paid $34 for it. Here is the link to that post. https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=79144&page=6

At the time my cousin handed over the Carbine to me he mentioned his dad had also purchased an FN model 1935 Short Rifle Peruvianicon Mauser chambered in 30-06. It had arrived the same day at the train depot along with the Carbine.
    A few days ago my cousin called and said he had found the Mauser and wanted me to have it as well. So I made the hours trip to his house again to pick it up. When I got there he handed the rifle to me in a sporterized wooden stock that his S-n-L had put on it with the intent to hunt with it. He never did.

Cuz swore to me that the original stock and handguard had been tossed in his work shed out back so I went digging, and digging, and digging. And wouldn’t you know it, at the very back of the shed, in a closet on the floor, I found that original stock! But unfortunately the handguard was not with it and additional searching turned up empty. I will have to locate a replacement soon, along with the missing “H” end cap and front sight protective hood. The good news is that original stock was in pretty decent shape with beautiful striped figure to the wood grain, and included the matching serial number and “CAL30” stamped on the left side of the butt. At some point my Uncle covered it in a thick glossy varnish of some kind. I will be restoring back to a linseed oilicon finish as soon as I can.

After leaving my cousins I visited a friend so we could examine the gun more closely. It only took a few minutes to dress the old girl more appropriately in her old original stock. I took these pictures in his back yard so lighting wasn’t the best.

After inspecting everything we went to another friends range. It was only 25 yards but we were able to fire several headstamps of Korean M2 Ball surplus we had on hand. The first were loose rounds in an ammo can and were very hot and kicked like a mule. Those had KA headstamps with dates 62, 67, 70, 71 and 72. I’m sure all were corrosive. Only shot ten. My shoulder thanked me. Thankfully, based on my subsequent reading, none of those KA’s caused a Kaboom.

Then we shot a full box of Korean M2 Ball with headstamp PS 75. These were much more tame and enjoyable to shoot. I was able to shoot a decent offhand 10 shot group, only pulling the one.

All the rounds, both KA and PS are boxer primed. Based on my research some may and some may not be corrosive, so to be say I cleaned the gun accordingly.

I hope you like the pictures. I’m very grateful my cousin decided to entrust both guns to me for safe keeping. They will be lovingly used by myself and my children and their children to come.

As I mentioned, I am in need of the correct upper hand guard, front “H” barrel end band and the front sight cover shroud. If anyone has these for sale or knows where I can find them, please PM me, but also let me know here. I get notifications of replies on posts but for some reason I don’t get notified of PM’s.

2. The Following 5 Members Say Thank You to KneverKnew For This Useful Post: