Quote Originally Posted by crowtalks View Post
but fairly beat up stocks
Quote Originally Posted by eb in oregon View Post
Buy two new stocks from the CMPicon, label and box the old ones, and enjoy your Garandicon's.
Absolutely! I have fit both the CMP replacement stocks (they come from Boyds), and stock sets from Dupage Trading. The dupage stocks also come from Boyds (made on contract for dupage), but come from a different pattern. I believe the dupage stocks are far superior. The CMP stocks are pretty much drop in, but do vary. I've had a couple looser ones and a couple tighter ones. Sure, they will get you to the range with reasonable performance. The advantage of dupage stocks is they have just enough material left in the few critical areas so that you can achieve perfection. The difference in target performance can be significant. Also, a key to preserving the long-term performance of any garand stock is to not store it with the trigger guard in the locked position. You don't need to take the trigger guard assembly off for storage, just unclamp the guard. This gives the wood room to naturally expand. In fact, It's a good rule for any rifle in a wood stock really to preserve its accuracy - loosen the action screws before storing, and tighten to the correct torque before going to the range. Loosen again when you put it away.