Threaded View

Last On
    03-10-2024 @ 07:16 AM
    Local Date
    05-11-2024
    Local Time
    06:52 AM

finally got ofRiver Ar my butt and did it

ok , have the Bushmaster DCM , and then fell into a Colt Match Target HBAR , the HBAR was lacking some of the improvements that the DCM was sporting most notably the A2 Free Float system , so purchased it from Rock River Armory , the plan is to dress both out equally with the same "addons" , leaving the basic rifle as is to see which is the better rifle

my process is to move the project to the bench and think about how/what i need to do to get it done , usually starts with dipping my toe in something easy , for instance the K98icon Faux sniper project is in this stage i started lapping the high turret mounts to the receiver and receiver bridge

got off work early on a friday like 3 or 4 weeks ago and said today is the day and jumped in , on getting the FF system done on the Colt , that turned out to be a bad day , barrel nut refused to budge , i was using a Wheeler armorer tool and the 3 pin was the only one that matched the B Nut , snapped a pin on the wrench trying to get it off , after a tyrade of cursing that im sure was bad enough to open a portal to hell , i ordered a Real Avid (awsome choice BTW)

while waiting for that to arrive i declared the barrel nut boogered due to when the wrench snapped it boogerd a couple teeth on the nut , so i slapped a cut wheel on the dremel , cut the D ring off , and then scored the nut in 2 places half way through being very cautious not to go all the way through because thats the receiver threads , slapped a pipe wrench on and with very little pressure it broke free and spun right off

scoring the nut like that allows the two halves you are creating to "flex" in turn breaking the grip it has on the threads without the un necesarry stress on the receiver , Colt applied ZERO nut butter on the threads , they did use nut butter on the barrel shank , no wonder the barrel nut refused to budge , no nut butter and possible torque on the high end of parameter

had a spare barrel nut and D riing assemble , wrench arrived and all else went according to plan

---------- Post added at 02:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 AM ----------

if you are wondering about the sling swivels , they are no longer attached to the front sight tree , you must cut that one off in order to be able to return the front sight tree back in place , the new swivel is mounted to the Free float tube , i dremeled it off and used a sharp fine file and worked it flush , then sprayed some Alumihyde II epoxy resin gun kote into a bottle cap and painted it with a artist brush

as for the new swivel , what i do with those is i have a piece of 3/4 flat stock i use as a anvil , place a thin rag over it and position the rivet on the anvil , i start with a punch that has a conical point that is about 2-3 times larger than the rivet , and start tapping the hole side of the rivet keeping the punch straight as to spread the rivet evenly, whne i get about half way i then swtch to a flat punch and start to flatten being mindful to stop just before flush with the swivel base
    Last edited by micmacman; 03-03-2024 at 10:01 AM.

2. Thank You to micmacman For This Useful Post: