I have had this RIA 1903 s/n 151,XXX for about 42 years, and I may have put a round or two through it long, long ago before I really knew anything about it.

I got around to ordering a Go and No-Go gauge for it and have found that I cannot close the bolt on the Go gauge. The bolt of my other, sporterized, 1903 closes on it just fine and does not close on the No-Go gauge. Further satisfying me that the gauges are correct is the fact that the bolt of the first gun mentioned will not close on factory-fresh ammo.

Other confusing features of this gun are that it has a scant stock, a 6-42 barrel, no gas relief hole in the extractor, and no Hatcher hole. I believe this rifle was assembled from various parts and certainly did not go through any certification process after rebuild.

I live in the Florida panhandle and am looking for a gunsmith capable of correcting this rifle's ills. I have run through all the local gun shops and smiths and come up empty. I would appreciate any recommendations, especially if they are within reasonable driving distance.

I would rather destroy the gun than pass it on as is to some unsuspecting person.