+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oh the Horror! -STOP using BLUE Loctite!

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Hybrid View

Last On
    Today @ 01:19 PM
    Local Date
    05-19-2024
    Local Time
    01:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by usabaker View Post
    Now, it's not that I don't trust others who mount things on rifles, well M-A-Y-B-E it really don't trust, I guess, but if there is a scope or a scope mount on a rifle, I always remove and remount, just so I know its done right.
    Me too. I used to curse the bubba under my breath that mounted before me, until I had a good friend bring over his brand new Remington 783, still in its box, with a scope and rings he wanted me to mount. The mount came already installed from the factory. Screws were either Torx or hex, I don't remember, but the first one required way too much force to remove, and boy ole boy was there a lot of loctite in there. the whole thing was a cruddy mess. I gently heated the others and they came right out with no issues. Underneath the blocks was enough loctite to fill a swimming pool.
    I think purple 222 is all that is needed for small screws. Ive seen 242 in kits, and sold on some popular sites without differentiating except for the number.
    I'll confess, I've used it (242) on scope mounts when it was all I had and they have easily removed months later to change mounts. The key is to use the right amount. I put a small drop on the wood stick-end of cotton swab, and then touch it to the threads. If your drop runs, you have too much. wipe off and try again. Same amount of 222 does the trick as well. I put neon red tape around the bottle of 271 (or 263) just to be sure I never make that mistake!
    Last edited by ssgross; 03-16-2024 at 08:09 PM.

2. Thank You to ssgross For This Useful Post:

Last On
    Yesterday @ 03:48 PM
    Real Name
    Bill Baker
    Local Date
    05-19-2024
    Local Time
    10:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ssgross View Post
    Me too. I used to curse the bubba under my breath that mounted before me, until I had a good friend bring over his brand new Remington 783, still in its box, with a scope and rings he wanted me to mount. The mount came already installed from the factory. Screws were either Torx or hex, I don't remember, but the first one required way too much force to remove, and boy ole boy was there a lot of loctite in there.
    I find the opsisite most of the time. The last two Bergara's I bought both had loose scope mounts. But, I replace factory with Leupold mounts most of the time anyhow. LOL
    Veteran US Navy Seabees - US Army Corps of Engineers - American Legion Post 0867
    " Only two defining forces have offered to die for me. 1.) Jesus Christ 2.) The American G.I. "One died for your soul, the other for your freedom! "

4. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
+ Reply to Thread