Thread: Oh the Horror! -STOP using BLUE Loctite!

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Threaded View

Last On
    Yesterday @ 07:48 PM
    Real Name
    Bill Baker
    Local Date
    05-14-2024
    Local Time
    11:03 PM

Oh the Horror! -STOP using BLUE Loctite!

Gents, I can't do anything but laugh. I was asked if I would be interested in purchasing a Remington SPS in 308Win. Well, I couldn't pass up the price. This rifle has obviously not been fired much. There is little to no wear anywhere, not even on the bolt. The rifle even has the factory advertisement sticker still on the stock. He told me he was just not happy with it and couldn't get it to shoot.

I did come with a Midwest Industries Short Action Rail 6061 Aluminum Picatinny. Now, it's not that I don't trust others who mount things on rifles, well M-A-Y-B-E it really don't trust, I guess, but if there is a scope or a scope mount on a rifle, I always remove and remount, just so I know its done right.

WELL.... the minute it started to turn off the screws on this mount, I knew I was experiencing something... Some thine Not-So-Great... I've seen a lot, and while I have seen worse things, this kinda is up there in the 'NO REALLY?!, WTF" category.

I don't think I have EVER seen so much BLUE Loctitie on a mount in my life. Was the person doing this string to bed the scope mount with Blue Loctitie. I just don't understand.

Well, this is going to be fun to remove. LOL. It's a good thing I have practice. What is this obsession with Blue loctite in the firearm community on scope mounts? If thread locker needs to be on these parts, it should be 222 or 222MS. And just a dab goes a long way.

Veteran US Navy Seabees - US Army Corps of Engineers - American Legion Post 0867
    " Only two defining forces have offered to die for me. 1.) Jesus Christ 2.) The American G.I. "One died for your soul, the other for your freedom! "

2. The Following 2 Members Say Thank You to usabaker For This Useful Post: