Last On
    Yesterday @ 09:56 PM
    Real Name
    Steve
    Local Date
    05-17-2024
    Local Time
    04:12 AM
    I don't think they did anything new. Obama came out with this when he was President, and I don't even think they changed the wording. All they are doing is changing the perception of what they are going to enforce. Will it stand up in court? It isn't even a law so this current Supreme Court isn't likely going to enforce it, but can you afford the hassle of lower courts, having your collection confiscated, damaged.

They claim to have closed the gun show and internet loopholes which have never existed, again, a perception issue.

Private sales are the only thing left to control, but people buy and sell things for profit all the time so it's legally hard to make firearms it's own category where this is forbidden or regulated. They are one of the few things which tend to go up in value so it you sell it after owning it a few years, you'll make a profit.

What happened when Obama did it is all the guns disappeared from the flea markets, at least the guys that had tables of them. They have slowly reappeared over the years but not to the point they used to be. These fellows were often dealers in all but the license, and they were investigated in some instances and shut down. I go to an antique flea market pretty often and last week there was one guy selling three rifles and they were definitely modern. I watched him sell a guy an AK type for $800.00, no questions, the entire transaction took about 30 seconds. To be honest, I was shocked, and it made even me uncomfortable. In PA, you at least have the obligation to be confident you are not selling to someone that shouldn't possess a firearm. That is extremely vague, but you at least get the guy's name and address and look at his driver's license.

This transaction was something like this: "Oh, that's a ........, I had one a while back and sold it and wish I hadn't, how much?" "$800.00." "Cool, I'll take it" and he had a huge wad of $100 bills in his pocket handed them over and took the rifle.

First red flag is you never just pay a guy the asking price at a flea market. Like I said, made me uncomfortable.

I'm playing a wait and see game right now. I don't often sell anything anyway so it isn't likely to come up but I will be very careful if it does.

2. Thank You to Aragorn243 For This Useful Post: