1. It appears that you are you're enjoying our Military Surplus Collectors Forums, but haven't created an account yet. As an unregistered guest, your are unable to post and are limited to the amount of viewing time you will receive, so why not take a minute to Register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to our forums and knowledge libraries, plus the ability to post your own messages and communicate directly with other members. So, if you'd like to join our community, please CLICK HERE to Register !

Already a member? Login at the top right corner of this page to stop seeing this message.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: End of an Era

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Hybrid View

Last On
    Yesterday @ 07:31 PM
    Local Date
    05-17-2024
    Local Time
    11:01 PM
    I feel your conflicting emotions as I am 104 days away from retirement, but who's counting. I've changed careers a few times over the decades but have really enjoyed my most recent - data center operations. I too am concerned who is going to keep the internet up after I and my contemporaries retire. Of our current 8 man crew there are 4 of us in our Sixties, 3 of us in our Fifties, and one youngster in his Thirties. Our original team has shrunk by 3 as attrition has taken its toll without suitable replacements found due to the proliferation of data centers in my area all with needs of experienced operators. My company is keenly aware of the impending shortage of trained operators and is holding many brain-storming sessions on how to fill the positions but no amount of benefits, bonuses, perks and pay offered seem to entice Millennials and Gen Zers. I'm sure the same can be said for other skilled trades and I fear when I'm 85 and the AC goes out I'll be climbing up in the attic to fix it myself.

2. The Following 5 Members Say Thank You to Sapper740 For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread