NO Posting or PM's Allowed
    Last On
    05-17-2009 @ 01:54 PM
    Local Date
    05-17-2024
    Local Time
    04:54 PM

What's it worth?

I just paid for a firearm for the first time (other guns have been family weapons): a Lee-Enfield MKIII Rifle. Original Stock, Matching Serial Numbers, and my gunsmith tells me that the barrel is well maintained, the striker/firing pin is in excellent condition, and that the rifle should be a usable weapon.

It's markings say it was produced in the Lithgowicon Armory, New South Wales, in 1917.

As I said, this is the first firearm I've ever purchased. I know enough about weapons to know when one appears to be in decent shape, and this one was well oiled, with smooth action.

I was looking for a cheap rifle that I could take to a gun range and learn how to use: I've never fired a rifle in my life, my limited experience with firearms centers around shotguns.

I thought this antique would do the trick: it looked to be in great shape, and I paid $175.

I've realized after a little bit of internet research, that this is an incredibly valuable weapon. I can't even find a non firing replica LE for under $200.

Would one of you collectors tell me what people usually pay for a Lee-Enfield in as excellent condition as this one?

I'd like to add it to my insurance.

Also, should I buy a marlin as my learning rifle, and lock this collectible in a safe?

I'll post some pictures as soon as I buy a new cord for my digital camera.

Thanks.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by UilleamEanraig; 05-16-2009 at 04:22 PM.