This is my first rifle restoration of any sort. I know this is in rough shape but I got it free (minus the bolt) so I figure I'll see what I can do with it. It has already been partially restored/butchered? and I don't want to make anything any worse. I know the #'s don't match and it's not in the best shape so it will never be worth a lot but I'd like to get it where I could fire it a bit and hang it on the wall without being embarrassed. I've tried to do a little research on the markings but it's like finding a needle in a haystack. All I know for certain so far is that it is a No. 4 mk1/2 and it was refurbished in 1950. I know the arrow means that it was made for the Britishicon Army but most of the other markings I have no idea about.

During the prior partial restoration I know the wood and metal was boiled in water to remove the old preservative. Maybe not what I would have done but it's what I've been given. Obviously some sanding has been done also.
My questions at this point are:
1.) With what, and how, would you refinish the furniture at this point?
2.) I found references to the original metal being both blued and/or painted. Which would be historically more accurate and what product would you reccommend?
3.) Any reccommendations on how to remove the rust from hard to reach places in the receiver?
4.) I'm assuming the rear site that has the thumb screw broken off is beyond repair so any advice on where to find a replacement?
5.)Any thing you would absolutely or absolutely not do with a rifle in this condition?

Many photos of this rifle can be viewed on photobucket Enfield No4 MK1-2 pictures by WClark_bucket - Photobucket

:::::::::

Thanks in advance for any help. Sorry if any of these questions seem obvious but this is my first attempt at restoration.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.