We received some questions concerning the black finish.

I only casually see this forum and may miss emails from the forum members only. We are set up to respond to the usmartialarmscollector.com web site.
I appreciate your comments but may not be able to answer the questions from this site.

In general, the black oil finish was purchased locally in Springfield, Mass. It was applied in a somewhat warm/hot state and covered all parts. Air dried but may have been in a warm- cabinet.
Quite a few years ago, I purchased a similar bottle of the finish (my home was about 15 miles from SA). I experimented with it and it seems to be the same; and is very fragile in terms of wear. The oil dripped down into the barrel channels etc. A mint rifle will show the black oil on the inside of the stock. The vast majority of the rifles were rebuilt and/or reparkerized, including the A mark on the barrel type of rebuilds. Appears all parts were covered with the dye. Service rifles and some 1917's were also finished the same way. It covered the parkerized finish.

Cheers,

Wayne

I still have the bottle but--no idea where it is.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.