NO Posting or PM's Allowed
    Last On
    10-16-2011 @ 10:11 PM
    Local Date
    05-27-2024
    Local Time
    11:23 PM

A Gem Hidden in the Rough

I stopped by the CMPicon North Store last Friday just to see if there was anything new. They had the same old picked over Springfield and Winchester field grades and I was about to leave when I saw a row of HRA rack grades on the end rack. I thought, "Well, before I leave I'll run through them real quick." Second from the last one I see a 5.7 serial number. I have all the HRA's except a 5.7, so why not look it over. The wood is definitely rack grade with a cracked front handguard and approximately 300+ dings everywhere else. But the barrel looks to be an original 11/55 HRA and what's this, the muzzle, while a little dinged, is a solid 1.0! Let's take it up to the counter and open it up and see what's inside. I take it up to the counter and ask for permission the open the action up and what pops out, a gas trap trigger housing! SOLD! It gets even better when I get home. The lower band is Winchester, as is the trigger guard. But when I disassemble the trigger group I find an A marked Winchester trigger.

I tore the rifle completely down. While I had it down to a barreled receiver I set it up in the lathe and trued the muzzle back up to G.I. specs. The Frazier elevation drum had a pretty flat tooth so I replaced it with a NHC I had. I reassembled everything with a new op-rod spring and ran it out to the club. I had to use the 50 yard bench because there were other shooters there. Still though, the rifle repeated eight shot groups that ran 1 to 1 1/4 inches. Not bad for a rack grade!

In this picture I have already replaced the trigger group with an all correct HRA group. The op-rod was a very nice condition 65 series SA which I replaced with an HRA dot op-rod I had on the wall. I also swapped out the SA -12 bolt with a Universal Windings HRA bolt I had in the parts drawer. I still need some decent HRA wood and rear sights.

The bonus; A gas trap trigger housing. Just what I need for my 36,XXX serial number reproduction gas trap.

Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

Senior Moderator
    (Milsurp Forums)
    Last On
    Yesterday @ 08:46 PM
    Real Name
    Bill Hollinger
    Local Date
    05-27-2024
    Local Time
    09:23 PM
    Score!
    Bill Hollinger

"We're surrounded, that simplifies our problem!"

3. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
    FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    09-26-2014 @ 09:35 AM
    Local Date
    05-28-2024
    Local Time
    12:23 AM
    "I have all the HRA's except a 5.7, so why not look it over."

Nice find. Now that you have "all" the HRA's,could you share some pics of your 6 mil HRA and tell us where and how you found it?

FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    09-19-2009 @ 09:18 PM
    Local Date
    05-27-2024
    Local Time
    09:23 PM
    "13.6 miles from the North Store and 47 Garands. But I can quit any time I want to...."

Hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!! Yeah, just like me!

FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    10-16-2011 @ 10:11 PM
    Local Date
    05-27-2024
    Local Time
    You got me on that one! I consider the 6.0 HRA's, like the 5.0 SA's to be out of the reach of normal guys like us. But if I get that lucky, you'll be the first to know.

FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    02-13-2013 @ 10:27 AM
    Local Date
    05-27-2024
    Local Time
    Great score on the housing. I have found the Rack and field grades true gems. You are more likely to get a old part than the SG rifles.

I picked up one of the HRA RG rifles two weeks ago at the NS. WRA bolt and op rod. and LMR barrel
    Last edited by mh53gunner; 06-16-2009 at 09:33 PM.

Last On
    01-01-2022 @ 08:53 PM
    Local Date
    05-27-2024
    Local Time
    10:23 PM
    I got lucky too on a rack grade H&R a few years back. It`s the 174th one made. It was mail ordered though. I don`t think it would have lasted long at the North or the South store.I think the odd starting # (4660001) is why the CMPicon missed it. I`m sure they wouldn`t today.

FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    06-26-2018 @ 02:54 PM
    Local Date
    05-28-2024
    Local Time
    12:23 AM
    Good find in the trigger housing.

A question about your gas trap clone. Are you going to use the new parts being manufactured recently or are you still looking for parts from original rifles?

I am curious, because the repro parts are out of sight ridiculous in price, but that may be the only way I can finish my own 18XXX receiver. I only lack the front end and the op rod to have a working rifle and cannot decide whether to build up the parts I have as a "rebuilt rifle" or wait around for gas trap parts to fall out of the sky. What are you going to do for parts to finish your rifle, is my question?

+ Reply to Thread