+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Myths, Old Wives Tales and Outright Lies...

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Hybrid View

Contributing Member Atticus Thraxx's Avatar
    Last On
    10-14-2023 @ 09:51 AM
    Real Name
    GEORGE
    Local Date
    05-25-2024
    Local Time
    07:53 PM

Myths, Old Wives Tales and Outright Lies...

Like many if not most of you I've 40 years of shooting experience. And like all of you, I was a newbie once. And I did not always have access to sober, responsible advice on shooting and weapons. Accordingly, I developed some bad habits and spewed nonsense I'd heard with confidence. Luckily I joined the US military and most of the active stupid was wrung out of me by 20 years old or so. Heck, If I'm truthin' it was probably a few years after that.
    So I was wondering what myths, legends, or just stubborn habits you held on to for maybe a little too long despite evidence to the contrary? I know admitted fault isn't popular these days, so I'll go first. These words spewed from my lips more than once back in the day " If it'll shoot a .22LR it'll take a .22 Magnum no problem". I seriously hope no one got hurt listening to me on that. I always said the "no problem" part with authority too.
    What's yours?
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

Last On
    Today @ 10:26 AM
    Real Name
    Walt Meyer
    Local Date
    05-25-2024
    Local Time
    09:53 PM
    AR rifles suck (uttered during my early years as a SWAT member when H&K firearms were considered the "cool" guns to carry and deploy). I have since learned that the AR platform is superior to the H&K platforms for tough, work related applications. Definitely teaches you that limited experience and what you see in the movies and on TV are no match for true, long term actual experience.

3. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
    Advisory Panel browningautorifle's Avatar
    Last On
    Today @ 08:38 PM
    Real Name
    Jim
    Local Date
    05-25-2024
    Local Time
    The Russians can use our ammo but we can't use theirs...(they did that deliberately...)

I have others too...they weren't mine though. I'd have to work to disprove them.

As for your .22 over .22 magnum, in our east coast there was a thought process I met when posted there that used to run a 1/4" drill bit into a .22 rifle and make it into a .22 magnum... They were adamant it was perfection. Picture your Cooey ace or Winchester thumb trigger in .22 mag?
    Regards, Jim

5. The Following 2 Members Say Thank You to browningautorifle For This Useful Post:

Contributing Member Atticus Thraxx's Avatar
    Last On
    10-14-2023 @ 09:51 AM
    Real Name
    GEORGE
    Local Date
    05-25-2024
    Local Time
    Wow, 117 views and only two comments. I must walk among giants.

Advisory Panel browningautorifle's Avatar
    Last On
    Today @ 08:38 PM
    Real Name
    Jim
    Local Date
    05-25-2024
    Local Time
    I'm surprised...
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus Thraxx View Post
    only two comments
    Regards, Jim

Last On
    Today @ 10:01 AM
    Real Name
    Franklin Ruple
    Local Date
    05-25-2024
    Local Time
    10:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by browningautorifleicon View Post
    The Russians can use our ammo but we can't use theirs...(they did that deliberately...)
    That seems to be a popular thought that probably started in WWI when US GI tried Germanicon 8mm Mauser rounds in their M1903 Springfields and M1917 Enfields. Probably several GI telling war stories in the trenchs that the German rounds can be used in a pinch if we run out of ammo. It only takes one or more Sad Sacks to try. Hatcher actually studied these incidents after the war. The same story was probably told to his son who carried an M1 rifle in WWII and tried that same as it too made the popular rounds of the BS table.

The only Russianicon weapon system that I am aware that uses "our" munitions but we cannot use theirs is the Russian 82mm Mortar System. The Russian 82mm mortar can use the US 81mm Mortar rounds but the US 81mm mortar cannot use the Russian 82mm mortar rounds. I know the US military actually publish the firing tables for the use of US 81mm mortar rounds in the Russian 82mm mortar.

The other two tales that seems to get around is that the M16icon 5.56mm round is too small to kill. I usually tell the less informed "Then way does the US military still use the round since the mid 1960's I am pretty sure it is not to be humane. The other is the M16/AR platform does not need to be cleaned as it is self cleaning. While there is a bit of true to that statement it was a very errorous selling point in Vietnam that the rifle did not need to be cleaned. Yea, that got a lot of good Marines and GI killed. But its a story that will not die.

I had another one that an AK47 will not hit a man size target at 100 yards. I took the "gentleman's" AK and put 5 rounds the size of a fist into the chest of a man size target off hand standing. I gave the rifle back to him and said, "operator error."

9. Thank You to fjruple For This Useful Post:

Last On
    Today @ 02:54 PM
    Real Name
    A.N.
    Local Date
    05-25-2024
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by fjruple View Post
    That seems to be a popular thought that probably started in WWI when US GI tried Germanicon 8mm Mauser rounds in their M1903 Springfields and M1917 Enfields. Probably several GI telling war stories in the trenchs that the German rounds can be used in a pinch if we run out of ammo. It only takes one or more Sad Sacks to try. Hatcher actually studied these incidents after the war. The same story was probably told to his son who carried an M1icon rifle in WWII and tried that same as it too made the popular rounds of the BS table.
    It is amazing what you will do when things get desperate. For the Austrian-Hungarians captured 7.62x54r would be used in a emergency in their M95 and M88/90 rifles when the standard 8x50r wasn't available. Fortunately for them it just resulted in dismal accuracy, no real dangerous (to the shooter) side effect.

Last On
    Today @ 10:05 PM
    Real Name
    Daan Kemp
    Local Date
    05-26-2024
    Local Time
    04:53 AM
    LE rifles are inaccurate because of rear locking.
    More than any other rear locking rifles.

LE rifles aren't as strong as other military rifles because or rear locking.
    Although the other military cartridges of its time had similar ballistics and pressures.

The No5 Mk1 has tremendous muzzle blast and recoil.
    Much more than any other similar make carbine. Although the writers stating that, haven't ever fired one.

12. The Following 2 Members Say Thank You to Daan Kemp For This Useful Post:

Last On
    Today @ 02:54 PM
    Real Name
    A.N.
    Local Date
    05-25-2024
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by Daan Kemp View Post
    LE rifles aren't as strong as other military rifles because or rear locking.
    Although the other military cartridges of its time had similar ballistics and pressures.
    They aren't as strong, the reality is they are strong enough for what they need to do. They just aren't overbuilt like most other actions.

14. Thank You to Eaglelord17 For This Useful Post:

Last On
    Today @ 10:05 PM
    Real Name
    Daan Kemp
    Local Date
    05-26-2024
    Local Time
    04:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglelord17 View Post
    They just aren't overbuilt like most other actions.
    Well said!

16. Thank You to Daan Kemp For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast