+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fake M1C built from an M1D???????

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Hybrid View

FREE MEMBER
    NO Posting or PM's Allowed
    Last On
    11-03-2012 @ 11:59 PM
    Local Date
    06-04-2024
    Local Time
    12:54 AM

Fake M1C built from an M1D???????

While stopping a the local pawn the other day, I asked if he had any old military guns. He brings me 2. One, a decent inland carbine with no import marks visible and a shiny bore, which I bought. The second was an SA Garandicon with a goofy scope mount and Universal scope. It didn't look right to me so I wasn't willing to fork over $1200 for it. I got to looking when I got home and realized I had better make sure it wasn't a M1C as it was a WW2 era SA serial and side mount scope. Went back today and turns out it is a 1.2 mil number or something and it has a williams mount on it (4 bolts). As I was sadly handing it back over the counter, It dawned on me that it still didn't look right. It has the mount for a D style scope mount on the barrel with the short upper handguard! I will admit my research has not been focused on sniper garands so I didn't know how to verify whether it truly is a D or not. I will go back Monday and check the barrel date/number placement, etc. But why would a person drill and tap a perfectly good D sniper that already has a mount???? There is no flash hider so I guess it is possible someone re-barreled with a D barrel? Any thoughts on what it is really worth? Thanks!
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    06-26-2018 @ 02:54 PM
    Local Date
    06-04-2024
    Local Time
    02:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by alfalfamt View Post
    While stopping a the local pawn the other day, I asked if he had any old military guns. He brings me 2. One, a decent inland carbine with no import marks visible and a shiny bore, which I bought. The second was an SA Garand with a goofy scope mount and Universal scope. It didn't look right to me so I wasn't willing to fork over $1200 for it. I got to looking when I got home and realized I had better make sure it wasn't a M1C as it was a WW2 era SA serial and side mount scope. Went back today and turns out it is a 1.2 mil number or something and it has a williams mount on it (4 bolts). As I was sadly handing it back over the counter, It dawned on me that it still didn't look right. It has the mount for a D style scope mount on the barrel with the short upper handguard! I will admit my research has not been focused on sniper garands so I didn't know how to verify whether it truly is a D or not. I will go back Monday and check the barrel date/number placement, etc. But why would a person drill and tap a perfectly good D sniper that already has a mount???? There is no flash hider so I guess it is possible someone re-barreled with a D barrel? Any thoughts on what it is really worth? Thanks!
    Willliams made scope mounts for the Garand in a time (the 1960's and 70's) when original and repop M1D scope mounts would not have been available to put an original M-84 scope on a rifle. These are the only scopes that fit the M1D mount.

As to the serial, unlike the M1icon-C, there is no serial range for M1D as these were pulled from existing rifles that speced with military armorers. The M1C rifles fit into a specific serial range.

It is probably worth restoring to military configuration as a shooter and any good gunsmith can likely put headless screws in the holes in the receiver.

3. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
    Contributing Member Mark in Rochester's Avatar
    Last On
    Yesterday @ 09:26 PM
    Real Name
    Mark in Rochester
    Local Date
    06-04-2024
    Local Time
    there are 1 inch m1d GI mounts

not so common

FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    09-30-2012 @ 10:23 AM
    Local Date
    06-04-2024
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Rochester View Post
    there are 1 inch m1d GI mounts

not so common
    Yep I had one with a Weaver K4 mounted in it. Years ago I saw a plugged M-1C receiver built into a papered, no joke M-1D on the CMPicon auction site. Thats something I've never seen again

+ Reply to Thread