NO Posting or PM's Allowed
    Last On
    11-08-2009 @ 10:16 PM
    Local Date
    06-15-2024
    Local Time
    10:45 PM

Question How Many Barrel Grooves ?

I still am a "Greenhorn" when it comes to 03 A3s. I know that both Remington and Smith Corona made 03 A3s, but I am confused about what rifles had how many barrel grooves. I have heard of 2 groove barrels, 4 grooves and even 6 grooves. Approximately when were these different configurations used by the two manufacturers ? Why did they change the number of grooves ? Did any of the barrels provide a higher degree of accuracy ? Thanks
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

Last On
    06-09-2024 @ 12:07 AM
    Local Date
    06-15-2024
    Local Time
    09:45 PM

'03-A3 barrels

Quote Originally Posted by leecorky View Post
    I still am a "Greenhorn" when it comes to 03 A3s. I know that both Remington and Smith Corona made 03 A3s, but I am confused about what rifles had how many barrel grooves. I have heard of 2 groove barrels, 4 grooves and even 6 grooves. Approximately when were these different configurations used by the two manufacturers ? Why did they change the number of grooves ? Did any of the barrels provide a higher degree of accuracy ? Thanks
    Remington made mostly 4-groove barrels through about 5-43. Remington made mostly 2-groove barrels after 5-43.

Smith-Corona made mostly 6-groove barrels through about 2-43. Smith-Corona made mostly 4-groove barrels after 2-43. Smith-Corona made a very few (rare) 2-groove barrels in 11-43.

I used the word "mostly" in the preceding sentences because plenty of exceptions exist.

The number of grooves was changed to increase production through-put and reduce cost.

I am not aware of any substantial accuracy difference between any of the preceding barrels. Cast-bullet shooters have reported some improvement with 2-groove barrels.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

3. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
+ Reply to Thread